The Museums at Night campaign is a great opportunity to build capacity within the arts and heritage sector: every year our feedback shows that being part of this UK-wide promotional campaign galvanises hundreds of venues to try new kinds of marketing and promotion.
This year, we’re trying something new for the first time: running a Facebook competition in conjunction with Love Art London (www.loveartlondon.com), with prizes of tickets to meet artist Michael Landy at the National Portrait Gallery.
While it might have been simpler to buy Facebook ads to promote Museums at Night, we’re trying this new kind of awareness-raising online offer a) because it’s a good example of the partnership work that’s always been key to the campaign’s success, and b) because it gives all venues with a Facebook page the chance to try doing something extra with it over the next three weeks.
I’ve just successfully followed the steps below to place the competition details onto the Culture24 Facebook page – and if (as a not particularly technical person) I can do this, so can you! Also, once you know how this particular app works – and if you already run your institution’s Facebook page, this needn’t be daunting – you’ll be able to use it throughout the year to promote your own offers.
As always, we welcome your feedback on this!
If you don’t already have a FBML tab on your venue’s Facebook page, here’s a step by step guide to adding this application and uploading the Museums at Night competition banner onto it. This shouldn’t take longer than 5 minutes to do.
1) Log in to Facebook.
2) Copy this link into your browser: http://www.facebook.com/add.php?api_key=fdfd01c9df7d644a68a4e989ae861e44&pages=1&page=102938863123295
3) The screen will invite you to Add Static FBML to your applications. Select the page you want to add it to.
4) Go to your Facebook page, and click Edit Page
5) Go to the Apps tab on the left
6) You should see FBML in your list of apps. Click ‘Go To App’.
7) You should see a blank form. In the Box Title bar, enter: Museums at Night competition to meet Michael Landy – enter now!
8) Copy and paste the following code into the FBML box exactly as it appears here:
<div style=″margin-top:5px;margin-left5px;width:190px;″><a href=″http://www.facebook.com/pages/Love-Art-London/285790983724″target=″_blank″><img src=″http://www.loveartlondon.com/loveart/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/LAL_Landy_All.jpg″></a>
9) Save changes. The banner below should now appear in the newly added FBML tab on your Facebook page.
We’d love to know what you think of this kind of cross-promotion opportunity – if you have any questions, please email email@example.com. Enjoy the sunshine this weekend, everybody!